Friday, December 23, 2011

Fry Me a Fish

I arrived home one night last week to find my mom beginning to prepare something I have never seen being made at home before. Battered and Fried haddock. I am a lover of fish and chips- put down a well executed fish and chips before me and I’m one happy lady.  (Put down a badly executed fish and chips before me and you’ll never hear the end of it….Captain Johns…)

Homemade Fried Haddock with Creamy Coleslaw
 The whole process was really fun to watch and obviously I couldn’t just stand there- I had to get my hands dirty and try it out!  It started with some thick and meaty pieces of fresh haddock fish picked up from the local grocer. We dredged it in flour, covered it in a beautiful buttermilk batter and fried it in a hot pan of oil. The outcome was spectacular. The batter was perfectly light and crispy and added the perfect crunch to the haddock without taking away from the lovely texture of the fish. 

To keep things on the ever light side (unfortunately) we skipped the chips and opted for a creamy homemade coleslaw to go with it- I mean really, what goes better than coleslaw?! I also quickly whipped up a little tartar sauce (mayo and relish....how does such a gross sounding combination taste sooo good?) and devoured my fish in no time.

Step 1: Dredge the Haddock in Flour

Step 2: Dip the Haddock in the batter

Step 3: Place Haddock in a pot with hot oil

Step 4: Let it brown and crisp

Step 5: Place Haddock in the oven to keep warm while you finish the rest....YUMMM

Step 6: Prepare creamy coleslaw

Step 7: Serve with Tartar sauce and lemon wedge, Enjoy!

Buttermilk Batter for Fried Fish
Ingredients:
½ Cup Flour & extra flour on a plate for dredging
½ Cup Buttermilk
1 egg
Salt and Pepper

Directions:
Mix ingredients in a bowl to form batter
Dredge fish with extra flour and dip in the batter
Place fish in a pot with very hot oil (about ½ inch of oil)
Flip once first side is browned
Remove when it is nice and crispy, serve with lemon wedge and Tartar sauce

2 comments:

  1. deeeelicious looking. i want the coleslaw recipe!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. loooooove the captain john's reference

    ReplyDelete