Thursday, September 8, 2011

The History of Film

The Midtown Cinema on Bloor, picture found here

There’s something that has always attracted me to things that are old (Don’t worry, I’m not talking old men or anything). I love things that have a story, something from before my time, or an item than has already been enjoyed by someone somewhere previously. Words like vintage, antique or second hand immediately draw me towards them and pull me in like an addiction. As my man can attribute to; anytime we drive by a garage sale or an antique shop I beg for him to stop (with the usual response of silence or a no….otherwise we would never get anywhere).
There other day a few friends and I went to see the movie Tree of Life at the old Regent Theater on Mt. Pleasant Road, one of the last of its kind in Toronto. A single man runs the operation and sells you your ticket to then immediately run over to the concession stand to also serve you your movie snacks. It has this wonderful feeling about it and really brings you back to how movie theaters were before all the Silvercity’s and 20 theater megaplexes were the norm. This theater has one movie playing at a time, an upper level balcony, and beautiful red velvet seats.
Unfortunately, even though it starred Brad Pitt, the movie was awful and I would really advise for everyone not to see it. It got rave reviews from movie critics, however after watching a black screen with coloured lights flashing around for 20 minutes, and wondering after awhile if there would be any more speaking in the movie (other than a creepy child’s whisper in the background) I had had enough. Not to mention that after 2.5 hours and feeling pretty bored, those old fashion movie chairs reminded me of why chairs in theaters have evolved. Let’s just say my bum was quite sore. All in all it was a fun experience and I suggest everyone go and have a night there (just wait until a different movie is playing…and maybe one around the 1.5 hour mark).
The Regent Theater


Don't forget the Poppa Corn!

The Eglinton, 1947 (picture found here)

No comments:

Post a Comment