Friday, September 23, 2011

Irassyai-Mase!


Irassyai-Mase! ('Welcome’ in Japanese) is what they scream at you upon entering the doors at Guu Restaurant on Church street. My second time going and trust me all the yelling and waving does not get old. Guu is a restaurant that began in Vancouver and has expanded to Toronto (now with two different locations here!), its food is a la Japanese pub food and let me tell you it is guuuu-d…hehe. The atmosphere alone is really what makes this place, it is always packed, everyone is yelling in Japanese, fire is exploding out of the open kitchen and the Sapporo comes in a massive jug that takes two hands to lift (well…for me at least).  You just can’t help but smile and feel happy here… I’m sure the massive Sapporo and Asian Pear infused Sake might have helped with that a bit, but when the food arrived I knew I my beaming smile was the real deal.  Tanoshimu! 

Takoyaki- deep fried octopus balls with tonkatsu sauce and karashi mayo

Maguro Tataki- seared B.C. tuna sashimi with ponzu and garlic chips

MASSIVE Sapporo (hand used to show true size...)

Yakiudon- pan fried udon noodles with beef, mushrooms and scallion

The bustling open kitchen, I suggest sitting at the bar!

1 comment: