Friday, January 6, 2012

Fifteen Christmas Salad


So I was really excited on Christmas morning when I found the 500 page “Cook with Jaime- My guide to making you a better cook” cookbook by Jaime Oliver waiting for me under the tree. I’m currently going through a bit of a Jamie Oliver obsession in which every recipe I see him make I immediately want to make it myself. Then devour it. 

Jaime Oliver's Fifteen Christmas Salad

One of the first recipes that caught my eye in this cookbook was the Fifteen Christmas Salad. Jamie claims it is one of his all time favorite salads, so for me it was really a no-brainer. I had to recreate this masterpiece A.S.A.P. And I did….last night.

The salad has many different elements to it and the taste was truly spectacular. Anything that combines Prosciutto, Burrata (a semi-recent discovery of this cheese has only left me wanting MOREEE), arugula and the Christmas favorite, Clementines, is all right with me. I plan on serving this in the future when I make lunch/dinner for my friends and hopefully next time I’ll get the presentation down a bit better… it turned out a tad messy. 


The salad had a light and refreshing lemon dressing on it that didn’t overpower the flavours of the Speck (smoked prosciutto), the clementines and the soft creamy burrata cheese. It was all about the little additions of flavour to this salad that made everything come together so beautifully; the sprinkle of lemon zest, the grated parmigiano and the torn up mint. The touch of balsamic at the end added a nice sweetness that elevated the simplicity of the lemon dressing. Bon Appétit! 

Jamie Oliver's Fifteen Christmas Salad

Lemon Oil Dressing
The juice of 1 lemon
10 tablespoons best-quality extra virgin olive oil 
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
 
Salad 
4 x 4 1/2 oz balls of burrata
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon
4 clementines, peeled and sliced into quarter-inch thick discs
2 handfuls of arugula, washed and dried
A small bunch of fresh mint, leaves picked
Lemon oil dressing 
4 slices of speck (smoked prosciutto)
A small handful of freshly shaved parmesan cheese
Aged balsamic vinegar

Get four individual serving plates out and tear a ball of burrata into rough chunks onto each plate. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and grate over the lemon zest. Arrange the clementine slices over the burrata, one clementine per plate.
In a bowl dress the arugula, Treviso or radicchio and mint leaves in a little dressing, reserving a few small picked mint leaves for serving.
On a chopping board, lay out a slice of speck and use this to pick up and wrap around a quarter of the dressed leaves. 
Place the little package on top of the clementine slices on one of the plates. Repeat this for the other plates. Serve with a shaving of parmesan, a sprinkling of mint leaves and a drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar. Eat immediately!

Makes 4 servings.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I just came on looking for this salad. I made it at the time it came out and it was delicious and I thought I'd prepare to make it again only I don't know what I did with the recipe. Thanks. Now I have it.

    ReplyDelete