In my current attempt to fight off all the fat I accumulated over the holidays, I decided to make a completely no-carb dinner the other night. I swear that this no-carb dinner was NOT followed by cheesy, buttery perogies tossed in fried onions and dipped in sour cream. Absolutely NOT!
So back to this healthy dinner. I decided on making lettuce wraps, but not just any kind of lettuce wraps, Greek style ones! OoooOO. And who says healthy can’t be totally delicious?! I cooked up some fabulous lamb meatballs, topped them with red onion, sliced tomato and homemade tzatziki then wrapped them in ice berg lettuce. YUM. To accompany these wraps I made a massive Greek salad with all the fixings and lots of feta cheese (low fat of course…well let's be honest...probably not).
Greek Lettuce Wraps
1 Pkg of ground lamb
½ onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, diced
Salt and Pepper
Tzatziki (preferably homemade…I’ll share this recipe soon)
Red onion, thinly sliced
Head of Iceberg lettuce
1. Combine lamb, egg, oregano (as much as you like!), bread crumbs, onion, garlic and salt and pepper in a bowl.
2. Form into meatballs. Heat pan on medium heat with olive oil. In batches fry meatballs so that outsides turn a nice brown.
3. Place meatballs on baking sheet and bake in a 350F oven for 10 minutes (or until cooked through).
4. Tear off iceberg leaves carefully so that you have large enough leaves to form wraps with.
5. Place 2-3 meatballs on a leaf, spoon over tzatziki and top with red onion and tomato. Wrap it up and eat it!
|First I made the Tzatziki...recipe to come soon!|
|Added some Greek Yogurt, et Voila!|
|Everything for the Lamb meatballs about to be mixed!|
|All the little meatballs rolled out|
|Ready! A Nice little crunch on the outside, perfectly moist and tasty on the inside|
|All wrapped up and ready to be devoured|
|Also works as a great appetizer at a party...|