Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Kale “Chips” with Tzatziki


I’ve found my new obsession. It is in the form of a leafy green… things are looking up. And not only is it the easiest thing ever… but it only takes 15 minutes to cook. This means that almost as soon as I want it, I can have it. 

I was inspired after reading my friend Taylor’s blog about how she found a surprising new “love” when she sampled some bites of Kale Chips that our friend Lo had made. Since I always (…well not always) trust her taste in food, I had to try it out myself. 

Now, I can’t get enough! I want to make more and more batches! And, I will. As Taylor described its health benefits to me, “it’s like spinach on steroids”. SOLD.

And, you know what goes perfectly with chips? Dip. And these Kale chips were no exception. I made a delightful Tzatziki sauce that was a perfect accompaniment to these crispy and lemony chips.

Kale “Chips” with Tzatziki 

Ingredients:
Kale Chips
1 bunch of Kale (or 2…the size decreases by more than ½ once cooked)
Juice of 1 lemon
Olive oil
Garlic, minced (I prefer the already chopped garlic in oil for this, since it isn’t as strong)
Sea Salt

Tzatziki
Greek Yogurt
½ cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 bunch of mint leaves, chopped
Juice and Zest of ½ a lemon
Salt and Pepper
Splash of olive oil

Directions
Preheat your oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
Remove stems from kale and tear leaves into medium sized chunks.  Place on cookie sheet and toss with lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and sea salt.
Cook in oven for 15-20 minutes, tossing every 5 minutes. Kale will burn fast, so be extremely careful!
Mix all ingredients for Tzatziki and taste for seasoning (I suggest making the Tzatiki in advance and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours…the flavours will combine beautifully!).

Toss the kale with lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper. Roast it in a 350 oven for 15 minutes.


Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve with Tzatziki. It's also so good eaten alone.


Everything for Tzatiki minus the Greek Yogurt!

There's the goooood stuff.

1 comment: