Friday, January 6, 2012

Vegan...Raw...Yes Please!

If you're in the mood to try something new (well new to me... since I'm meat and cheese crazy) then I suggest hitting up Rawlicious in Toronto's Yorkville. Everything is raw and there is no wheat, no meat, no dairy nor refined sugar in anything they serve.

I've been wanting to try this place for awhile, but with few friends interested, Rawlicious has stayed on my bucket list. Finally today, my sister Erin came to meet me for lunch and she was keen and willing to give it a shot.

It was definitely different.

Surprisingly the food had a lot of flavour and great texture to it. I branched out of my norm and tried things like "Seasoned nut-loaf" (a meat replacement) and "nut cheese". 

Zucchetti Basil Pesto – Zucchini noodles with olives and sun dried tomatoes mixed with basil pesto & pine nut parmesan
We shared the Zucchetti Basil Pesto and the Taco wrap, and while the "nut cheese" didn't taste anywhere near the taste of real cheese, it actually somehow worked. 

Taco Wrap – Seasoned Nut-Loaf, Guacamole, chopped Tomatoes, shredded Romaine, Salsa and Nut Cheese wrapped in Collard Greens

The Taco Wrap was my favorite and had so much flavour! I would definitely order this again
 Now don't get me wrong, I will not be eating like this everyday (or even once a month for that matter) but it was fun to shake it up and see how the raw vegans do it. I left the restaurant feeling very light and like I had really done something good for my body (replaces going to the gym anyone?). I will definitely be going back soon to sample some of their delicious sounding smoothies.

While the Zucchetti Basil Pesto was extremely tasty and crunchy, it lacked some flavour and could have used an extra Zing!

Look how long those Zucchini noodles are!
 Rawlicious
20 Cumberland St.

1 comment:

  1. I would definitely do this instead of going to the gym. Sounds like a great idea

    ReplyDelete